Friday, July 7, 2017

My First Group Art Exhibition

Today I am celebrating!

A local art gallery where I have taken several classes, artEast in Issaquah, WA is putting on an exhibition of work developed by art students and the artists who taught them. I submitted two of my relief prints and one of my acrylic paintings and all three were accepted to the show.

It is so incredibly exciting to have my art hanging in a gallery for the first time!

relief prints by Julie Bazuzi exhibited in artEast gallery Issaquah, WA

"Sunset Fox"
relief print, 8x10 framed
artEast Gallery exhibition

"Port Townsend Pier"
relief print, 11x14in framed
artEast Gallery exhibition

Artist and teacher Jacqui Beck (left) and me (right)
at the artEast Teach: LEARN exhibit opening July 2017

"Trail Walkers"
acrylic & mixed media, 11x14in
artEast Gallery exhibition

I've been thinking a lot lately about a post I wrote at the end of last year: Art, Synchronicity and Saying Yes. I'll share again a wonderful quote from The Artist's Way:

"We like to pretend it is hard to follow our heart's dreams. The truth is, it is difficult to avoid walking through the many doors that will open. Turn aside your dream and it will come back to you again. Get willing to follow it again and a second mysterious door will swing open."
-- Julia Cameron

After the harrowing experience this past winter of having my son spend five days in the ICU and finding out that he has a medical condition that will be with him the rest of his life, it took me a while to start making art regularly again. He and I have both come a long way in the last six months since I wrote about our challenges and blessings. He's adapted incredibly well to all the new protocols, and finger pokes, and injections.

His maturity and cheerful spirit have made it possible again for me to find time and space in our days to get back to making art. So when artEast gallery put out the call for student art, and then both my teachers, Leslie Nan Moon and Jacqui Beck, sent me emails about the exhibition as a past student, I felt that mysterious door swinging open.

Who knows where it will lead?

I'm excited to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment