Saturday, June 11, 2016

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: Flow, the secret to happiness

Just a quick post tonight for It's a String Thing Challenge #148. I'm using a Strathmore Bristol Drawing Pad for the first time. It's very smooth and quite a bright white, so it marks quite a change from my usual materials which are usually more textured and more of off-white or ecru color.

I enjoyed exploring Fengle in my sketchbook and brainstorming complementary patterns to pair with it. I chose Narwhal to fill the space where Fengle often has inner auras and I added a thickness to the Fengle arms. Here's my linework before shading.


black and white abstract ink drawing of 3D spirals and twists
linework for IAST Challenge 148
Fengle, Narwhal
Julie Bazuzi (c)2016

Next I started in with the shading and added Snailz to the orb shapes at the end of the Fengle arms.


black and white abstract ink drawing of shaded 3D spirals and twists
IAST Challenge 148 after shading
Fengle, Narwhal, Snailz
Julie Bazuzi (c)2016
I definitely like where this is going, but I think it needs something more. Maybe some cast shadows to ground it? Maybe some more patterning along the Fengle arms? Maybe more patterns drawn behind everything that's there already? I'm not sure, but I think I'll let this one sit for a bit and come back to it later with fresh eyes.

In the meantime, you might give a listen to this renowned Professor of Psychology, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, who has pioneered the current understanding of the relationship between creativity and happiness.




No comments:

Post a Comment